5 WAYS MICE ENTER YOUR HOME IN THE FALL
In the autumn there is no question about it, mice will find any means necessary to find shelter. This means that your home could be at risk of a mouse infestation. Mice are masters of finding any way in a building they can, this is because they are able to squeeze through holes the size of a dime! And because cracks and holes in your foundation, windows, and roof are inevitable, nearly every home is a candidate for mice infestations.
Mice are full of diseases and they can also do extensive damage to your home:
- They can spread diseases such as hantavirus (deer mice), salmonella, and listeria through their urine, droppings, saliva and nesting materials.
- Because mice breed year-round and able to produce five to ten litters per year, with an average of 6-8 babies per litter, you could have up to 60 mice gnawing at your furniture, rugs, and your walls (to name a few of their favourite treats).
- They can burn your house down, literally. They love chewing on wires to keep their teeth short and to gain access to places that the wires may be blocking. Mice can chew through soft concrete, wood, drywall rubber, plastic pipes, insulation, aluminum and even gas lines. Expensive repairs!
Rodent proof your house, here are my top 4 suggestions:
1. Caulking – Go around your house and seal off the cracks and holes
2. Clean up debris around your house – especially dog poop
3. Don’t leave garbage and recycling in your garage
4. Weather-stripping, especially your garage door. Mice will stay out